It all began when Pierre Pourroy went to work for a local vineyard, owned by Jean Narcisse Aubry. Pierre fell in love with one of his daughters, Marie Louise and the two were married in 1891. Pierre and his brother, Eloi worked for Aubry and eventually saved enough money to purchase and plant their own estate in 1901.
The brothers along with their wives planted the Zinfandel vines in 1910, and built our Tasting Room barn in 1912. Not deterred by Prohibition, they planted the Cabernet Franc in 1920, and the Carignan in 1924. Work was finished In 1923 on a large family home, designed after architecture in northern Paris. The Villa was to be named after the hill where the brothers grew up in Paris, but the craftsmen misspelled the name and left off the first 't', giving it the name Monmartre which can be seen today on the side of the building. In 1955 Pierre would retire from winemaking.
The winery, villa, and vineyards were sold in 1971 and renamed Congress Springs Winery. Production was increased and many events were held on the property. Then in 1996 our current owners Michael and Kellie Ballard bought the property and named it after their 2 daughters, Chanel and Savannah. Today Mike and Kellie are involved in all aspects of the winery and use the Villa as their vacation home. The Ballard Family is dedicated to the wine legacy of the Santa Cruz Mountains and the solemn stewardship of the Pourroy Ranch.